Thank you to #football coaches for your questions this week about coaching career advice. Here’s part of my answer.
I love coaching football as much as anyone but I have never slept at the football office and never worked 16 hours a day to coach any football team. I coached football for free for 40 years. That’s true love of coaching – working for free. But that love of coaching never has compelled me to devote my entire life to coaching football and never will. Here’s why:
- I have a wife, 3 daughters, 7 grandchildren. I love them more than I love football.
- During 15 years of frontline policing, I never slept at the office. Policing involves life & death. Game-planning doesn’t.
- The only times I ever worked 16 hours a day as a detective were when someone got killed or almost got killed. Otherwise, I worked 8-hour shifts and left. Football coaching is complicated but it’s not as complicated as solving murders, robberies, and other heinous crimes. I refuse to believe that coaching football at any level is so complicated that you need to work 16 hours a day and sleep at the office.
- I never slept at my office once during 20 years a a college law enforcement professor and academic program coordinator leading 600 students every semester.
- I have never slept at my gym business, X Fitness, since I started it from scratch 20 years ago. Unlike with football coaching, business can break you financially and in mind-body-soul. I have never worked 16 hours a day or camped out on a bench, couch, or floor at the gym. I have never needed 16 hour workdays and nights to losing all we owned.
- Life is extremely short. Football is a major part of my life but not my entire life. I’ve taught my football players for 40 years to spill your guts during Football Training, then drop it. Live a full life. Football is only a game. Someone runs with the ball, someone else chases him and tries to knock him on his ass. We did that as kids at the park without any coaching whatsoever and had a blast. Put football in perspective. The higher the level you coach at, the better your players are. Trust you players. There is no job that needs 24-7 attention. None. Zero.
Thank you again for all your questions about how to build a coaching career.
X Fitness has been committed to giving free coaching for athletes & coaches for 45 years. This #podcast is episode #1,152 compliments of X Fitness at: https://blunttalk.libsyn.com/1152-reallifedeath-coach-pressure-packed-gino-arcaro
Here is a Motivational Video at: https://www.facebook.com/435597646542270/videos/3195584347210239
More motivational videos are at our Instagram acct: https://www.instagram.com/xfitnesswelland/?hl=en &. https://www.instagram.com/p/CMI6Sz3DH9n/
And more motivational videos and content on our Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/xfitness.welland
Blessings and all good things