Here’s Real Life&Death Lesson #24,002 that I’ve taught my defenses for 40 years – give up 500 yards passing means you gave up. You are a S.O.F.T. Defense – dual meaning.
One of the top 51 embarrassments that a defense can suffer is giving up 500-plus passing. Its not a defense if you give up 500-plus yards passing. Defense that give up 500-plus passing yards are Spectators. They watched instead of participating. There are 26 primary causes for giving up 500-plus pass yards. Here’s the main reason: S.O.F.T. – dual meaning.
- S.O.F.T. – Soft Open Field Tracking
- S.O.F.T. – Soft Open Filed Tackiling.
S.O.F.T defenses can’t track the ball after the catch and can’t tackle the ballcarrier in open-field after the cacth.
Soft Open Field Tracking. One of the top 51 toughest challenges for a #defensivecoordinator teaching open-field tracking, referring to pursuit angles after catch. Open field pursuit angles are tough to teach for the following reasons
- Different starting points.
- The starting points refer to: (i) The point of reception. (ii) Defenders positions at the point of reception.
- Every pass reception is made within the context of a downfield formation – in-progress alignments of defenders & receivers.
- Every downfield formation is different.
- The downfield formations determines the tracking pattern – the exact pattern of all pursuit angles.
- One wrong pursuit angles adds Yards After Catch.
- Two or more wrong pursuit angles blows up Yards After Catch and blows up your defense.
- Soft Open Field Tracking leads to non-contact long-distance running after the catch to the end zone.
Soft Open Field Tackling
Here are the key points about Soft Open Field Tackling:
- The lowest quality & lowest quantity of reps at any practice are devoted to live, full-speed open-field tackling.
- Live open-field tackling in practice scares the hell out of coaches and players. That’s why open-field tackling is soft.
- Soft open field tackling will make half-ass passing into a superstar offense.
- Your QBs and receivers will all look like all-stars because of Soft Open-Field Tackling.
- Conventional Xs & Os are deficient because they neglect downfield Xs & Os – diagrams of receivers & defenders alignment at the point of reception.
- Downfield Xs & Os represent the Downfield Formation which is equally important as pre-snap formation.
- Down Formation diagrams are essential to teach Downfield Blocking.
- All-Star Downfield Blocking combined with Soft Open Field Tackling will rip the heart & soul out of any defense.
- Soft Open Field Tracking combined with Soft Open Field Tackling results in the illusion of an unstoppable offense because of defensive incompetence that cannot stop long-distance running to the end zone after the catch.
- Soft Open Field Tracking combined with Soft Open Field Tackling turns your defense into a non-contact unit. It turns the game into a non-contact sport.
- Solution – HardReps
New #Podcast compliments of X Fitness at: https://blunttalk.libsyn.com/998-reallifedeath-coach-hard-reps-gino-araro-0
Blessings and all good things