Thank you to #football #coaches for your questions last week about play-calling. Here’s part of the answer:
When they can’t keep up, they show up, throw up, and give up.
Here are the keys points we teach about that lesson:
- The SWAT No-Huddle System is based on the Real Life&Deaths I learned during 15 years of policing – be your own play-caller. Call your own plays. Call your own work.
- I was a #frontline uniform street-cop for 9 years and a detective for 6 years. I was expected to make the calls in both places after I was taught how to make the calls by a coach officer after a 5 week training period.
- Every uniform platoon I worked on had a patrol sergeant and a desk staff sergeant who were in charge of the platoon. But neither made the call at every call. Neither made any call unless the street-cop asked them to make the call.
- After my Coach Officer Training, I was expected to be an RDM – rapid decision-maker – at every call. That expectation was the backbone of frontline policing. The frontline ethos included the be a play-caller ideology – you are on the field, you make the call. You’re on the frontline, don’t ask the sideline.
- I was taught that the frontline had the best view, the best access to tangible and intangible information, the best instinctive & intuitive capacity to make spilt-second decisions when its do or die. The frontline street cop had the deepest, most profound understanding of the context of every call we investigated. Consequently, the frontline was best equipped to make the best call.
- Play-caller or play-mauler. You had 2 choices – learn to make the right spilt-second calls that makes the big play or make incompetent calls that mauls the play. Play-caller or play-mauler places a Performance Demand on the Field-Frontliner that demands the most from yourself.
- The same principle applied after I was promoted to detective. After a 4-week training period of working with & learning how to make calls from a coach-detective, I was expected to make the call, at every call. The Lead Detective was expected to take the lead and make every investigative decision.
- If you passed off the RDM to a higher rank, you risked the incompetent label of indecision. Can’t Make a Decision was a label you couldn’t lose.
- Our SWAT no-huddle offense is based on the same principle. Rookie QBs learn to make calls by collaborating with the head coach on every single pass play.
- All SWAT pass plays are built at the LOS in less than 8 seconds after the ball is spotted. I call the frontside. The QB calls the backside. No plays to memorize. No set plays. No plays on paper. The limitless system doesn’t need paperwork. It needs intellectual work. That’s we call play-calling, work-calling.
- Our QBs are taught the same lesson I was taught as a rookie cop – learn to be the play-caller. Call your own plays. Call your own work.
- The SWAT No-Huddle System expects the same Frontline Field Leadership that was expected in Frontline Policing.
- Our play-calling system is designed to floor it – speed it up until they can’t keep up. Not in mind-body-soul.
- When they can’t keep up, they show up, throw up, and give up.
- Speed up the game, they lose their game.
- Take no breaks, they break.
- Force them to work faster, they quit faster.
- Force them to think more than they’ve ever thought, they will lose the fight that they never fought.
- When things don’t go their way, they won’t find another way.
- They will pack it in, run away, and stay away on #Gameday.
- They will go back to flexing, posing & posting #selfies to grab as much unnatural attention to relieve their tension.
- Fight hard today to win big on #Gameday & #Hiring day.
- We have an uncompromising, unconditional ideology. We don’t care about likes. We care about what works in our reality with the least and with The Least.
- We don’t build teams. We build #LaFamiglia. Big difference.
X Fitness has been committed to giving free coaching for athletes & coaches for 45 years. This #podcast is episode #1,119 compliments of X Fitness at: https://blunttalk.libsyn.com/1119-la-famiglia-gino-arcaro
Here is a Motivational Video at: https://www.facebook.com/435597646542270/videos/3195584347210239
More motivational videos are at our Instagram acct: https://www.instagram.com/xfitnesswelland/?hl=en
And on our Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/xfitness.welland
Blessings and all good things