Hereâ€™s a fun test:
1. Count the number of excuses you make in the next 24 hours, startingâ€¦.right now.
2. Then, classify each excuse on a scale of 1-10 â€“ 10 being insufferable.
3. Tally up your final score. Single-digit is not bad, double-digits is a problem, triple-digits is a big problem
4. Then, take just one of those excuses, regardless of the score you attach to it, and give it up for Lent. If you donâ€™t believe in Lent, try any 40-consecutive day stretch.
5. Donâ€™t cheat. Define excuses properly. Thatâ€™s the tough part. We all have weird ways of defining excuses.
Thatâ€™s what Iâ€™m doing and I thought Iâ€™d share it. The reason is that excuses are the number-one killer of potential.
The toughest part of coaching and teaching is preventing the senseless slaughter of potential. Iâ€™ve seen enough wasted potential, including mine, to cause overflow at landfill sites. Wasted potential is heart-breaking so I’m writing a book about human potential. Iâ€™ve made it a mission to stop wasting my potential.
On another note, hereâ€™s one of my top 100 back-to-basics Classic Rock workout songs that Iâ€™m dusting off tonight because Iâ€™ve scored too high on excuses during my past two workouts. In order, I thought I was:
1. suffering from adrenal fatigue.
2. vitamin D deficient.
3. getting a sinus infection.
4. overtraining because my right eye was blurry.
5. losing short-term memory from not recovering enough between workouts.
6. not processing information because of stress.
7. not eating enough fiber which was responsible for a sudden increase in body-fat.
8. ruining my back because my running shoes were worn out.
9. dehydrated during my arm workout because I lost count of what set I was on.
10. over-the-hill because Iâ€™m going to turn 100 in 44 years.
The link is after my signature.
Gino Arcaro M.Ed., B.Sc., NCCP Level 3
Head coach â€“ Niagara X-men football
Owner â€“ X Fitness Inc.
Gino Arcaro is a widely published author. His website, blog, Youtube channel, and list of books are at: www.ginoarcaro.com His books include: 4th & hell: seasons 1-5, Soul of a Lifter, SWAT Offense, SWAT Defense, X Fitness Workout System, and a 3 business book series called Soul of an Entrepreneur . He also has written 20 editions of 6 law enforcement academic textbooks. A new 8-volume interrogation book series will be released in the spring of 2014. And later this month, a new childrenâ€™s book called â€œBE FIT â€“ DONâ€™T QUIT.â€