Here’s a fun test:
1. Count the number of excuses you make in the next 24 hours, starting….right now.
2. Then, classify each excuse on a scale of 1-10 – 10 being insufferable.
3. Tally up your final score. Single-digit is not bad, double-digits is a problem, triple-digits is a big problem
4. Then, take just one of those excuses, regardless of the score you attach to it, and give it up for Lent. If you don’t believe in Lent, try any 40-consecutive day stretch.
5. Don’t cheat. Define excuses properly. That’s the tough part. We all have weird ways of defining excuses.
That’s what I’m doing and I thought I’d share it. The reason is that excuses are the number-one killer of potential.
The toughest part of coaching and teaching is preventing the senseless slaughter of potential. I’ve seen enough wasted potential, including mine, to cause overflow at landfill sites. Wasted potential is heart-breaking so I’m writing a book about human potential. I’ve made it a mission to stop wasting my potential.
On another note, here’s one of my top 100 back-to-basics Classic Rock workout songs that I’m dusting off tonight because I’ve scored too high on excuses during my past two workouts. In order, I thought I was:
1. suffering from adrenal fatigue.
2. vitamin D deficient.
3. getting a sinus infection.
4. overtraining because my right eye was blurry.
5. losing short-term memory from not recovering enough between workouts.
6. not processing information because of stress.
7. not eating enough fiber which was responsible for a sudden increase in body-fat.
8. ruining my back because my running shoes were worn out.
9. dehydrated during my arm workout because I lost count of what set I was on.
10. over-the-hill because I’m going to turn 100 in 44 years.
The link is after my signature.
Gino Arcaro M.Ed., B.Sc., NCCP Level 3
Head coach – Niagara X-men football
Owner – X Fitness Inc.
Gino Arcaro is a widely published author. His website, blog, Youtube channel, and list of books are at: www.ginoarcaro.com His books include: 4th & hell: seasons 1-5, Soul of a Lifter, SWAT Offense, SWAT Defense, X Fitness Workout System, and a 3 business book series called Soul of an Entrepreneur . He also has written 20 editions of 6 law enforcement academic textbooks. A new 8-volume interrogation book series will be released in the spring of 2014. And later this month, a new children’s book called “BE FIT – DON’T QUIT.”