Empty set, full pressure. That’s SWAT No-Huddle Rule # 3,413 that we have taught our players for 4 decades, on both offense and defense.
The most potent offensive attack we have ever experienced in my 40-year coaching career is the empty set executed with a warp-speed no-huddle.
The main reasons why are:
- Defences invest the least number of practice reps against empty sets.
- Empty sets are the least understood offensive formation by the majority of defences.
- Empty sets cause the most uncertainty and coverage mistakes.
- Itâ€™s impossible to fully cover 5 receivers on the same play. Our film study has shown that there are at least 2 open receivers, by our definition of open, on every empty set pass play.
- Fast-paced empty sets exert the most pressure on defences.
- Empty sets create the greatest number of defensive binds and the most challenging defensive binds.
- Empty sets force defenses to leave their Comfort Cages faster and farther than any other offensive strategy.
- Empty sets expose defensive weakness faster and more clearly than any other offensive formation and strategy.
- Empty sets forces the defense to make their toughest personnel decisions.
- Nothing changes the character and thinking of a defense more than super-fast-paced empty sets.
- Nothing creates more collective defensive self-doubt in the minds of the defensive coordinator and every individual defender than a bombardment of empty sets.
- No offensive strategy has more explosive-play capacity and potential than rapid-fee empty sets.
Conâ€™d in part 2. No sport is more challenging to coach than football. No era in the history of football is more challenging to coach in than today. We are in PMS – Post-Modern Stage of football that features the most dramatic shift in ideologies, beliefs, values, and attitudes. Never, ever stop learning. Never stop evolving.
Blessings + all good things