Here’s Real-Life Lesson #1,985 I’ve taught football players for 40 years – the opponent will talk tough but tough-talkers will not back it up. Doers are committed to doing. Talkers are committed to talking. Doers are dedicated to speaking with action. Talkers are dedicated to meaningless words. Doers break down barriers. Talkers just break down.
Forty years of coaching football has taught me that although the Football Establishment talks tough, they don’t always back it up. When it comes time to pick a winner between an underdog and a favourite/favorite, many will cave in under the pressure and pick the favourite/favorite. The most important football underdog story of the decade and the 21st century is the New England Patriots’ 3-0 start – three upset wins after losing their first-string quarterback Tom Brady, losing their second-string quarterback, losing the best player in the NFL, Rob Gronkowski, losing starting offensive linemen, and losing two key defenders. Despite all their losing, the Patriots keep winning. Here is the significance of what the Patriots have accomplished:
- Many self-professed TV experts revealed themselves by giving the Patriots no chance against Arizona, Miami, and Houston. It’s easy to pick the favourite/favorite because most alleged experts are brainwashed and try to brainwash viewers into believing that adversity can’t be beat and that favourites/favorites are entitled to the title. They’re not.
- The Patriots are the model of how to beat adversity. Here’s the Patriots’ formula – they outwork and out-coach their opponent regardless of what challenges they face and who they’re playing. Watch the past three Patriots’ game and you will see countless examples of how they simply outwork their opponent consistently on offense, defense, and special teams. The best example was a play by New England linebacker Jamie Collins versus Houston in the second half, on the most important play of the game. Play of the game. Play of the year so far. Outwork and out-coach are overused, abstract concepts but New England re-defines both in concrete terms with compelling evidence, drive after drive, game after game.
- Tom Brady’s suspension was the equivalent of capital punishment for a by-law offense. The best moment in NFL history will be when Roger Goodell presents the Vince Lombardi trophy to Tom Brady and the New England Patriots on Super Bowl Sunday at the end of this season.
- The Patriots teach the Football Establishment the true definition of “next-man up.” No team in all of pro sports defines it better than the Patriots.
- The true Deflate-gate is what Arizona, Miami, Houston, and all of the AFC East are suffering. It must be deflating for AFC East division rivals to not be able knock off the Patriots who own the division year-after-year. It must be deflating for three favourites/favorites to not be able to beat what amounts to the New England JV team.
Hail to the underdog. May all of you who are coaching underdogs and playing on underdog teams beat the favourite/favorite. May all the underdogs learn from the Patriots and outwork, out-coach, and out-muscle the favourite/favorite. The best way to shut up the talkers is by doing. I’ve been blessed to have coached the least. I’ve witnessed the Power of the Underdog. You may be picked last but you don’t have to finish last. Anyone can be outworked. No exceptions. It starts at the top – dual meaning – with mindset and leadership. Be a leader, not a cheerleader. The game needs true leaders because apathy has reached crisis level. First World softness is unprecedented in the history of the world. The game is in your hands, literally. Put a bar in your hand and lift. Lift like your life depends on it. Dual meaning – lift weights, lift souls. Train like your life depends on it. Practice like your life depends on it. Do it for your team. Do it for those who sacrificed for you. Life is too short to get hammered – dual meaning. Next time you’re feeling sorry for yourself and you hear the voices in your head make up excuses, think of those who would gladly trade places with you – the sick, the dying, the hungry, the poor. Be more, or be less – it’s your biggest decision today.
This will be a topic of a new Blunt Talk Podcast, compliments of X Fitness www.BluntTalk.Libsyn.com X Fitness is committed to lift. There’s enough depressing news. We won’t add to it.
Blessings & all good things.
Gino Arcaro M.Ed., B.Sc., Level 3 NCCP (Nat’l Coaching Certification Program)
Football Head coach – Niagara X-Men Football
Gym Owner – X Fitness Welland Inc.
Podcast Host – BLUNT TALK PODCAST www.blunttalk.libsyn.com
Gino Arcaro is a widely published author. Currently, he is finishing another book in his non-fiction series: Mystery of Murder: Working with the Dead. All published books are available on on www.Amazon.com and www.Chapters/Indigo.ca, in both soft cover and eBook format. Additionally, his website, www.ginoarcaro.com features his books including:
Football coaching and non-fiction books: SWAT System: Offense and Defense, SWAT Tackling Video (with accompanying eBook), and 4th & Hell: Season One and Season Two
Business Books: Selling H.E.L.L. in Hell, True Confessions, and eBooks: Soul of Selling, and, Real Business Relationships = Sales
Fat Loss Book: Fat Losing
Workout System: eXplode: The X Fitness System
Motivational Books: Soul of a Lifter, and eBooks: The Pledge, and, The Focus
Children’s Books: Be Fit Don’t Quit, and, The Beauty of a Dream
Policing Textbooks: Arcaro’s Interrogation Case Law