My primary objective during 40 years of coaching football always has been and always will be #StayAlive – dual meaning. First: Players staying alive in mind-body-soul. Second. Keep players’ next-level dreams alive.
Football is a matter of life-and-death – dual meaning. First: you can die playing football. Second. Your next-level dreams can die by not playing #groundbreaking football.
#Groundbreaking football is 5th Degree High Performance that distances you from the rest – dual meaning: First: distances you from the competition who are fighting for scholarships and fighting to #TurnPro. Second: distances you from excessive down-time.
There is no greater coaching reward than getting student-athletes to the next-level. None. Zero exceptions. But getting players to the next-level sounds like fun until it has to get done. What has to get done will make the uncommitted come undone.
I’ve taught all my football players for 40 years – s/he who alleges must prove. That means if you want to be selected by the next-level, you have to prove hardcore, compelling evidence of 5th Degree High Performance beyond reasonable doubt. Mere suspicion is insufficient.
I devised a new #Combine, a work -in-progress that started in 1985, year 2 of head coaching career. In 1985, I made a #pledge to do everything humanly possible to get players recruited by college and pro teams, to never let student-athlete potential go to waste. The combine I devised was different than the NFL Combine because I believed then and I still believe now that the NFL Combine doesn’t allow players to prove their true, full capacity and true, full potential. Here are the reasons why:
- The conventional Combine skill, strength, and speed tests are conducted at full-strength, with minimum prior fatigue. This means that results are evidence of 1st quarter capacity – not 4th quarter capacity or 3rd quarter capacity or 2nd quarter capacity, and not #OvertimeStrength – dual meaning. Strength Deficit when the game goes into Overtime and the extent of strength developed over time.
- 225 lb. bench presses are not part of a #context, referring to a complete workout that shows 4th Quarter Strength. Conventional 225 bench press testing does not prove the extent of Strength Deficit caused by fatigue
- Incredibly, 225 lb. squats are absent.
- 40 times do not prove the extent of Speed Deficit caused by fatigue.
Our combine includes:
- 225 bench press tests as part of an entire workout to prove 4th quarter strength and Overtime Strength.
- 225 squats as part of an entire workout to prove 4th quarter strength and Overtime Strength.
- Sprints after practice to prove 4th quarter and Overtime Strength.
- Full practices to show the #1 predictor of future performance – how a player practices. The full extent of physical, intellectual, emotional, and spiritual energy invested during practice.
Our Combine Reform has facilitated some degree of next-level recruitment of 212 players at 4 different levels during 4 decades. Next-level recruitment is a ruthless Darwinian Selection Process that cuts the weak. Next-level recruitment is a manifestation of #groundbreaking mind-body-soul development that doesn’t just happen. Nothing just happens. Nothing just happens coincidentally, randomly, accidentally, or overnight.
Blessings and all good things