The most important call you’ll make in Football Poverty is not on game-day. It’s the system you decide to use.
The biggest challenge and decision in coaching in Football Poverty is deciding what system to use on offense and defense. The system you choose has to be compatible with a Teaching System, referring to the amount of:
- instruction time
- applied learning time
Football Poverty is different than coaching in Football Wealth. The difference is resources – human, physical, financial. It all adds up to Contact Time – the time available to master your system. If your entire roster cannot master you system before Game One, your system is flawed. Your system has minimal value.
My first head coaching job was in 1984, an unpaid job no one wanted, a job that I won by default because no one applied for it. It was a dead high school program stuck in the worst losing culture in mind, body, and soul. I had been an assistant coach there for 8 years. If you’re an assistant coach looking for the best coaching experience, apply for the head coach position of a dead program. There is no richer coaching experience.
My rookie season was a nightmare – we got slaughtered. Winless, non-competitive. The beauty of a winless season is the chance to investigate it. Study it carefully to solve the mystery of winning. Film study during that off-season revealed a conclusion that became the basis of our new system that evolved over decades – the V-Shape.
The V-shape is an area of focus for both our straightforward running and drop-back passing philosophy in our warp-speed no-huddle SWAT offense. Our system evolved into a Power Play system – straightforward drop-back passing and straightforward running that centers on two, 45-degree boundaries from the midline at a point 7 yards behind center. The two 45-degree angle boundaries represent the following:
- The best decision-making line for both run and pass plays.
- The most natural vision line for startup quarterbacks.
- The path of least resistance – the least populated area on defense.
- The most compatible system for our teaching reality.
- The best way for our players to master our system in Football Poverty.
- The line of demarcation that separates two distinct approaches to defense.
- The cutting of a field into natural thirds.
- The boundaries of natural focus for quarterbacks and running backs.
- The positions of power that can effectively control the movement of any defense, regardless of formation, coverage, or concept.
- The boundaries of straightforward ball movement.
Our entire SWAT system is based on the concept of straightforward – dual meaning – in physical direction and teaching direction. We don’t have the time or luxury to focus on anything other than straightforwardness. The 4 pillars of the SWAT System – strength training, offense, defense, special teams – all are based on straightforward concepts. No complexity, no complication. 100% simplicity. Our film study year after year showed that straightforward drop-back passing and straightforward running along the V-shape that originates from the mid-line, correlates to the most points we have scored and most yards gained.
The 45-degree lines are the central focus of our power passing and power running, but not the entire system. It’s the ethos we want to project publicly to every opponent we face. We hide nothing. We believe that revealing is better than concealing because revealing our intention reveals the opponent’s intention. Revealing our intention has worked better for us than deception. Once the opponent reveals their intention, the only issue is strength – defined as the degree of execution, force, and will. That’s the Underdog Formula that works out for us. That’s the Underdog Ideology that we believe in for the Football Poor to beat the Football Rich.
This is just the first part of the explanation of how the V-shape works for us on both offense and defense. The rest will be explained in future articles.
My gym, X Fitness, sponsors Blunt Talk Podcast. The mission of Blunt Talk Podcast is to lift in mind, body, and soul. All 750 episodes are free, permanently archived at: www.ginoarcaro.com
Blessings & all good things.
Gino Arcaro M.Ed., B.Sc., Level 3 NCCP (Nat’l Coaching Certification Program)
Football Head coach – Niagara X-Men Football
Gym Owner – X Fitness Welland Inc.
Podcast Host – BLUNT TALK PODCAST www.blunttalk.libsyn.com
Gino Arcaro is a widely published author. Currently, he finished another book in his non-fiction series: Mystery of Murder: Working with the Dead. All published books are available on on www.Amazon.com and www.Chapters/Indigo.ca, in both soft cover and eBook format. Additionally, his website, www.ginoarcaro.comfeatures his books including:
- Football coaching and non-fiction books: SWAT System: Offense and Defense, SWAT Tackling Video (with accompanying eBook), and 4th & Hell: Season One and Season Two
- Business Books: Selling H.E.L.L. in Hell, True Confessions, and eBooks: Soul of Selling, and, Real Business Relationships = Sales
- Fat Loss Book: Fat Losing
- Workout System: eXplode: The X Fitness System
- Motivational Books: Soul of a Lifter, and eBooks: The Pledge, and, The Focus
- Children’s Books: Be Fit Don’t Quit, and, The Beauty of a Dream
- Policing Textbooks: Arcaro’s Interrogation Case Law