Thank you to football coaches for your questions. Here’s part of my answer:
Here’s a case study:
- Our ball, on our one. 99 yards away from the end zone.
- Two choices: (i) call it 1st & 10 from our one. Or, (ii) 1st & goal from the one.
- We call it 1st & goal from the one because: (i) performance is connected to perception. (ii) Conventional Thinking defines 1st & goal as one yard from the end zone. (iii) we teach Original Thinking because Real Life&Death demands Original Thinking, not Conventional Thinking.
- 1st & goal from our one creates a Scoring Mindset, a special mindset void of fear. Without that Scoring Mindset, 1st down from our one becomes 1st & goal for the other team’s defense.
- 1st & 10 from our one is not the worst field position for our offense. Its the best field position for our offense because the defense has the most field to cover – 99 yards x 53.3 yards.
- The most field to cover puts the defense in a tactical bind & fitness bind.
- The most field to cover amplifies the pursuit angle errors. Just one pursuit angle mistake by the defense will result in a score.
- Perception governs production. 1st & goal from our one is a Perception of Expectation. We expect to score anywhere on the field, on any down. That’s not just motivational bullshit to entertain during practice speeches and #Gamday speeches. It constitutes deep & profound program-governing ideology that raises the bar in play-calling and play-execution.
- 1st & 10 from your one can make you tense or make the defense tense.
- 1st & 10 from your one can terrify you or energize you.
- 1st & 10 from your one can frighten you or frighten them.
- It depends on your Real Life&Death experience. Every Real Life&Death experience is the equivalent of 1st &10 from your one. You either get it done or you are done.
- If 1st & 10 from your one scares you, you have never trained for it, never experienced it.
Here’s another case study:
- First down from our one. You get the ball and break through. You’re at mid-field. Then their 40, 30. The worst embarrassment to self, team, and the entire sport is to run out of gas before the end zone.
- We teach our players – if you can’t sprint the entire field, you don’t belong on the field.
- After you score, the entire offense including the O-Line has to sprint the entire field to line-up for a 2-point conversion. We don’t kick. Ever.
- Another embarrassment is a Delay of Game penalty because of running out of gas while running the entire field to line up for 2.
- And, this case study represents just one play. There’s still more plays in the remaining 59-plus minutes.
- We teach our players that sprints & strength training are essential to prevent these two embarrassments and to ensure player-safety.
- The #1 threat to player-safety is being unfit.
- Take a hit while being unfit will make your quit – dual meaning.
- Consequently, Sprint Training is not random. Its not an unstructured training program.
- We calculate the Anticipated Distance – the anticipated number of yards that we travel in 60 minutes. We design our Sprint Training accordingly.
- The same applies to Strength Training. Sets & Reps are calculated by need.
- Our formula is Supersets-Sprints-Sled. All sets & reps are designed on purpose – dual meaning.
- Character is built in the off-season. Every single trait & characteristic that will transfer to Real Life&Death survival is taught and learned in Strength Training in the gym and on the practice field.
- We have never called it #conditioning or #warmups. We call it 5th Degree S&M – strength & muscle building in mind-body-soul.
- 1st & 10 from your one is either 1st & goal for you or for them.
- Change your perception, change your production.
- 1st & 10 from your one forces you to fight & run the full-field or run away and give away.
- Train like hell to prevent the worst hell.
- Winging it won’t work out. Structured learning outcomes and structured training outcomes produce winning scoreboard outcomes.
Football coaching has never been easy. It’s getting tougher every day. Without life-long learning, you stop earning – wins and jobs.
X Fitness has been committed to free coaching for players & coaches for 45 years.
Taught #football #teams & #college #lawenforcement #students:
When you face elimination every day, you have to eliminate something every day. Eliminate #FailToAppear, eliminate fear. #FailToAppear in the weight room, class room, practice field will make you & your team disappear from contention. The lack of drive to lift & learn is a deeper problem that, left unchecked, will sink you to the depths of dead-last. Good news. There’s a solution to #FailToAppear. New #podcast compliments of X Fitness at: https://blunttalk.libsyn.com/1078-reallifedeath-coach-followers-gino-arcaro
Blessings and all good things